Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years Resolutions - 2009

I am not typically a new years resolutions kind of guy. I have tried doing them in the past - I don't think I ever made it more than two weeks without breaking any and all resolutions I had made. I think most fall into one of two categories: 1) ridiculous optimism ("Become a better person this year!" "Work out every day"), or; 2) plain impossibilities ("Stop drinking"). So I haven't made any in quite some time.

I figured 2009 would be different - I'd try and set some realistic "goals" for myself this year, and really track them to see how I do. Yes, I am setting the bar very low - I find I do that a lot. But I figure that setting the bar low and succeeding at meeting a goal is better than setting them too high and failing outright (there is probably a specific pathology to this mentality - I'd rather not think about it).

So, in no particular order, these are my resolutions (goals, whatever) for 2009:

- exercise in some form three times a week - I have access to a FREE gym at work, with showers and everything, 24/7. There is no excuse, given that, that I can't find some way of exercising three times a week. Walking, playing golf, whatever - any physical activity outside of getting up to get another beer will work

- eat local, organic, and/or homemade food as much as possible - Suz jumpstarted this effort. We belong to a food coop, we have access to three farmer's markets very close by, and we love to cook, so there is no reason I can't eat a lot healthier than I did last year (which was till pretty healthy by most standards). Making our own yogurt, bread, granola, canning fresh veggies - all part of the plan

- relax and enjoy more - I am, by nature, a stress filled person I think. I may come off as pretty laid back most of the time, but I don't handle stress really well, and for anyone that has ever had a three year old, you know that there is a good amount of inherent stress in that situation. I tend to let that stress (and the fear of it) get in the way of doing things with Noe and Suz I might otherwise like to do (go to a restaurant, reach out to other parents and set up play dates, etc).

- enjoy a few hobbies - there are things I really like to do - watch football, brew beer, snowboard, play golf, play tennis. But I never give myself any time to do them - even on my AWS days, I find myself sitting around rather than venturing out to do something. I want to get out and do some of those things more - otherwise, I may get to the point where I am physically unable to do them, and I don't want that to be a regret.

That's it - there are certainly other things that I want to do this year - better myself, be a better dad and husband, etc etc. That's all a given - I see the things listed above as things to strive for over and above the day to day. We'll see how I do

No comments: